Make Preventive Maintenance a Priority and Extend the Life of Your HVAC System
Prolonging the life of your HVAC system involves taking the right preventive maintenance actions to keep your system running efficiently. As a homeowner in south Florida, you can safely perform minor maintenance on your system, including changing the filters, cleaning the evaporator coils and removing debris around the outside condenser. You can also look for signs of problems, like excess dust in your rooms, water around the condensate pan or cracks in the ductwork. If you find any of these signs, it’s time to contact a qualified contractor to examine and repair your system.
During most typical preventive maintenance appointments, technicians will examine, clean and repair the three main parts of your HVAC system.
- Air handler – The technician removes accumulating dirt from the evaporator coils and fins. Filters are cleaned or replaced, and fans are cleaned. The tech will inspect the condensate pan and drain for proper drainage, lubricate all moving parts and tighten electrical connections.
- Condenser – The technician will clean the condenser coils and fins, check and adjust refrigerant levels and look for leaks if the levels are low. If necessary, the tech will also recommend removing any shrubs or debris that interfere with the condenser’s performance.
- Ductwork – The HVAC technician will examine ductwork for leaks and recommend any necessary repairs. The tech will locate cold or hot spots in your home and adjust dampers in the ductwork for optimal airflow. Insulation is inspected for deterioration and excess dust and dirt will be eliminated. If mold is found, the tech can determine the source of the moisture and offer solutions such as uv lighting products.
DID YOU KNOW ?
- Only 100th of an inch of dust, film or dirt on your evaporator coil can decrease efficiency up to 15%
- Dirty blowers, condensers and evaporators can raise your energy use by 50 percent, or even more.
- Roughly 80% of compressor breakdowns could have been prevented if preventive maintenance had been performed.
Preventive maintenance also allows technicians to get to know your unique HVAC setup and household needs, so they can identify problems before they escalate.
If you live in the eastern Palm Beach, northern Broward or southern Martin counties, contact the pros at Robert R. McGill Air Conditioning for more information on preventive maintenance plans for your HVAC system. We’ve been serving the area since 1979 and our reputation is built on quality work and customer satisfaction.